On the lookout for easy Weight Watchers friendly game day snacks? You may want to whip up a batch of these cute little pepperoni pizza mini muffins. I made them for the first time back in the late 1980s. The recipe is from Connecticut Cooks III, a cookbook published by The American Cancer Society my mom gave me back in 1988. Called “pepperoni puffs” they were an immediate hit.
I’m not sure what caused the recipe to pop into my head, but I immediately ran upstairs, pulled out the cookbook and stirred up a batch. They were as easy and tasty as I remembered. And according to the book’s notes these pepperoni pizza mini muffins freeze well too.
SKINNY ON PEPPERONI PIZZA MINI MUFFINS
These pepperoni pizza mini muffins are a lighter healthier way to satisfy a pizza craving. I love them dipped in a little warm marinara sauce. Each one has just 29 calories and 1 Weight Watchers Points Plus. Enjoy!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup non fat milk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup reduced fat grated cheese (I used a combination of mozzarella and Parmesan)
- 1 cup diced low fat turkey pepperoni (5 ounces)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, milk, egg and cheese until well blended. Add the pepperoni and stir until it is distributed throughout the batter. Set the bowl of batter aside and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Grease 3 mini muffin tins. Fill each cup ¾ full. Bake until set and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy warm.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping if desired.