|2 spray(s) cooking spray|
|1 cup(s) yellow cornmeal|
|1 cup(s) whole wheat flour|
|2 tsp baking powder|
|1 tsp table salt|
|1/3 cup(s) corn oil|
|3 Tbsp honey|
|1 large egg(s), beaten|
|1 cup(s) fat free skim milk|
|3/4 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), chopped|
|1 medium jalapeño pepper(s), seeded and finely chopped (do not touch seeds with bare hands)|
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and coat a 12-hole muffin tin with cooking spray or muffin liners.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, honey, egg and milk.
- Create a well with a spoon in the middle of cornmeal mixture and pour milk mixture into well; mix until just combined. (Do not over beat.) Fold in scallions and jalapeno.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of batter into muffin holes until each is about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake until tops turn golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Yields 1 muffin per serving.
- If you like your muffins really spicy, use the jalapeno with the seeds. For a sweet taste, omit the jalapeno altogether and substitute about 1/2 cup of finely chopped sweet red pepper in its place.