|4 large egg white(s)|
|1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar, or cider vinegar|
|1 cup(s) sugar|
|2 tsp vanilla extract|
|2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, powder|
- Preheat oven to 200ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with foil.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. Add vinegar; beat until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high and gradually add sugar; beat until glossy stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- Remove half of meringue to another bowl; stir in cocoa until blended.
- Spoon tablespoons of both meringues onto prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart each, making about 44 cookies – half vanilla-flavored and half cocoa-flavored. Or you can make marbleized cookies by spooning 1/2 tablespoon of each type of meringue into a mound and then swirling the 2 together with your fingers.
- Bake until meringues feel dry and crisp all the way through, about 3 hours. Turn off oven; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks to cool completely. Peel meringues off foil and store in an airtight container. Yields about 2 cookies per serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.