- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, cut into one″ cubes
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, more or less to taste
- 2 fresh sprigs thyme, stems removed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast….about 2 breast filets, cut into one″ pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium, fat free
- 1 cup milk
- Add all ingredients, except milk & cornstarch, to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or until chicken is cooked and carrots and rice are tender.
- Before turning off the slow cooker, add the milk and stir to combine. Cook about 10 minutes.
- If a thicker soup is preferred: whisk together the milk with one tablespoon cornstarch. Add the milk mixture and stir. Cover, and continue cooking until soup has thickened, about 10 minutes.
Yields: 8 Servings ; Serving Size: 1 Cup ; Calories: 180 ; Smart Points: 4 ; Points Plus: 4 ; Total Fat: 5 ; Sat Fat: 2 ; Cholesterol: 45 mg ; Sodium: 339 mg ; Carbs: 13 g ; Fiber: 2 g ; Sugar: 1 g ; Protein: 17 g