- 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
- Let sit for a minute.
- Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Top with some paprika for color.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.
Prep Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 1 hr 15 mins | Servings: 6 | SmartPoints: 11
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount per serving:
- Calories 288.3
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 49.6 mg
- Sodium 682.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 11 g
Inspired from: food.com
Photo credit: Food.com