- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with cold water to 2 inches above potatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain; place in a large bowl.
2. Heat oil and butter in a medium skillet over medium heat until butter melts. Split vanilla bean lengthwise; scrape out seeds. Add seeds and vanilla bean pod to oil mixture; cook 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Remove pod; discard.
3. Preheat oven to 375°.
4. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and milk to potatoes. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Add oats, pecans, flour, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to butter mixture; toss. Sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until bubbly around the edges.
Serves 12 (serving size: about 2/3 cup) | SmartPoints: 7
Amount per serving
- Calories 229
- Fat 11.4 g
- Satfat 2.5 g
- Monofat 5.6 g
- Polyfat 2.6 g
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrate 30 g
- Fiber 4 g
- Cholesterol 9 mg
- Iron 1 mg
- Sodium 255 mg
- Calcium 68 mg