- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup masa harina flour (Mexican corn masa mix)
- 1/4 cup shortening or lard
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 can (16 oz.) refried beans, warmed
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or crumbled cotija cheese
- Topping Suggestions: taco sauce, sliced pickled jalapeños, sour cream and/or chopped green onions, (optional)
- PLACE corn meal and flour in large bowl; cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, kneading until smooth. Add chiles; mix well. Form dough into 16 small balls. Pat each ball into 3-inch patty; place on wax paper.
- HEAT 1 teaspoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Cook patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding additional oil as needed to prevent sticking.
- TOP with beans, cheese, taco sauce, jalapeño slices, sour cream and green onions.
Serving Size: 1/16 of Recipe | Servings : 16 | 20 min. prep | 40 min. total | SmartPoints: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 150
- Calories from Fat: 60
- Total Fat: 7g (10% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g (11% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 5mg (2% of DV)
- Sodium: 180mg (8% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 19g (6% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% of DV)
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 4g