• 2Tbsp olive oil
• 2slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon, chopped
• 1small uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
• 1item(s) uncooked bell pepper(s), green variety, finely chopped
• 2clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
• 1tsp table salt
• 1⁄2tsp ground cumin
• 1⁄2tsp dried oregano
• 1leaf/leaves bay leaf
• 3⁄4cup(s) uncooked white rice, long-grain, rinsed
• 15oz canned low sodium black beans, or no salt added, with liquid
• 1cup(s) water
• 1Tbsp cider vinegar
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add bacon; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5-6 minutes. Add onion and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring a few times, 30 seconds. Stir in salt, cumin, oregano, bay leaf and rice.
2. When rice is coated with oil, add beans and their liquid, water and vinegar; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover; simmer until rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed, 20-30 minutes.
3. Remove pot from heat; cover and let sit 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
4. Serving size: 3/4 c