- 2 large or 3 medium baking potatoes, baked or microwaved
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14.5 fl. oz.) chicken broth
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- Cooked and crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions (optional)
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Scoop potato pulp from 1 potato (reserve potato skin); mash. Add pulp to broth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes just to a boil. Diceremaining potato skin and potato(es); add to soup. Heat through. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Top each serving with bacon, cheese and green onions, if desired.
- Variation: For a different twist to this recipe, omit the bacon, cheddar cheese and green onions. Cook 2 tablespoons shredded carrot with the onion and add 1/4 teaspoon dried dill to the soup when adding the broth. Proceed as above.
Notes: This recipe come with 4 servings/ Serving size: 1/4 (about 1 bowl) | SmartPoints for this recipe is high but worth the points. (15 SP). Also if you have a kid’s they will like it! My kids asked for seconds!!!! (Also you can customize to your liking).
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 380
- Total Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Sodium: 440mg
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 7g