- 2 pounds lean chuck or other beef stew meat, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into large bite-sized pieces
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with juice (BPA-free cans)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper and whip together in a bowl.
- Coat the beef cubes with the flour mixture.
- Place the large skillet over medium heat and pour in half of the oil. The half of beef cubes is placed into the skillet with 30 seconds of cooking for each side, or until the cubes get golden. The meat should not be cooked through, just brown the outer sides. Remove from the skillet and put aside. Repeat the same process after adding the rest of the oil and the remaining beef cubes.
- Pour the meat pieces into the slow cooker, and then add potatoes, onions, diced tomatoes can with juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix broth with balsamic vinegar, oregano, garlic, paprika, and add into the slow cooker. Cook covered on high for 4 to 6 hours or simmer for 8 to 10 hours. Stir frequently and enjoy when ready.
Yields: 10 servings | Smart Points: 10
Calories: 317 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 194mg | Carbohydrates: 24g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 21g