- 1.25 pounds chicken breast filets (about two filets), cut into strips, then halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup cleaned and sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine OR 1/2 cup vegetable broth with 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (not lite)
- 6 whole sprigs fresh thyme
- Small pinch nutmeg (if grating from fresh nutmeg kernel, only grate two times)
Take 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and 1/8 teaspoon of salt and sprinkle each one into chicken strips. Put saucepan over medium heat and add 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add chicken pieces while oil is hot and not smoking yet. Cook around 8 minutes, flip pieces to make all sides golden and then cook through. Take chicken out of saucepan and put aside on a plate.
Add onions, mushrooms, thyme and the remaining teaspoon of oil. Cook between 5 and 8 minutes until onions are softer and all liquid is evaporated from the mushrooms. After adding garlic, cook for 30 seconds more. Move onions and mushrooms to side of the saucepan. Into this free space, pour broth or wine. Use spoon to scrape bits in the bottom. At least, leave a half of liquid to evaporate and the return mushrooms and onions.
Before returning chicken to the pan, pour out coconut milk and nutmeg. Add the rest of the pepper and salt. Cook between 3 to 5 minutes until heated through. Before serving, remove thyme branches. The ragout may contain many of the leaves.
The ragout can be served with brown rice, quinoa, soba noodles, spaghetti squash or polenta.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | SmartPoints: 10
Calories: 256 | Total Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 46mg | Carbohydrates: 4g | Fiber: 1g | Sugars: 1g | Protein: 19g |
Recipe Adapted from: Skinnyms.com