- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 17 min
- Serves: 48
- 4 spray(s)cooking spray
- 18 1⁄4ozunprepared packaged devil’s food cake, or similar chocolate cake mix, divided
- 2 Tbspapple butte
- 2 Tbspwater, warm (or more to yield smooth batter)
- 2 tspalmond extract, divided
- 16 ozcanned sweet cherries packed in light syrup, drained (dark, pitted cherries)
- 1⁄3 cup(s)apple butter
- 1⁄2 cup(s)regular liquid egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 24-hole mini muffin pans with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, make frosting: Mix together 1 cup cake mix, 2 tablespoons apple butter, water and 1 teaspoon almond extract until smooth (add extra water if necessary); set aside.
- Place drained cherries on a paper towel. Pat cherries dry, place on cutting board and coarsely chop; set aside.
- In a mixer on slow speed, combine remaining cake mix, 1/3 cup apple butter, remaining almond extract and egg substitute for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes more; stir in cherries.
- Fill muffin pans 3/4 full with cherry mixture. Bake until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, about 15 to 17 minutes. Allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely. Frost each cupcake with 1 teaspoon reserved frosting.
Serving size: 1 cupcake | SmartPoints: 3