- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup buttermilk or reduced-fat milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg, I like using Egg-Land’s Best eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 slices multi-grain or whole wheat bread, cubed, I love Milton’s multigrain
- 1 cup apple, peeled & chopped
- 1 package sugar substitutes such as Stevia, Truvia or Splenda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Fat-free whipped cream or fat-free vanilla yogurt, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat 4 glass custard cups (6-ounce size, which is 4″ wide) or same size ramekin or small baking dishes with cooking spray, see shopping tip
2. In a large bowl, combine applesauce, milk, brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Fold in bread cubes and chopped apple.
3. Let stand for 15 minutes or until bread is softened.
4. Pour into the 4 glass custard cups. Mix together 1 package sugar substitute of your choice and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle a little on top of each. Place the 4 custard cups on a baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
5. Serve warm. Dollop with a little-whipped cream or yogurt on top, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 4 servings | 1 serving (each serving, 1 custard cup full of bread pudding)
- 198 calories
- 2g fat
- 6g protein
- 45g carbs
- 4g fiber
- 135mg sodium
- 28g sugar
SmartPoints value : 9