1 cup all-purpose flour*
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk**
1 tablespoon skim milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with a silicone baking mat.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Remove the butter the from freezer and use a box grater to grate the butter into dry mixture. Work the butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or two dull butter knives.
Add the buttermilk and stir just until the mixture is combined.
- Roll the dough onto a lightly floured cutting board. Gently pat it into a flat 8-inch circle.
Using a 2-inch circle cookie cutter, cut the dough into circles and transfer onto a baking pan. Your circles should almost touch to avoid “wasting” dough. Any leftover dough scraps can be re-rolled and cut.
Brush the top of each biscuit with milk.
- Bake 17-18 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Cool before freezing.
- Reheat in toaster oven just until warmed.
Serving Size: Makes 12 biscuits.
- Total Fat4.2 g
- Saturated Fat2.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0.2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat1.2 g
- Cholesterol11.0 mg
- Sodium30.6 mg
- Potassium90.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber1.0 g
- Sugars1.4 g
- Protein2.6 g