- 14 oz. chicken sausage, casings removed
- 8 ounces uncooked DeLallo whole wheat elbows
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 – 14.5 ounces can of petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 cups marinara sauce, the homemade works too
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups water
1. Oven is preheated to 350°Fahrenheit.
2. Add sausage in a large deep non-stick skillet, brown over high heat until cooked through. Season with a pinch of salt and cut into chunks while cooking. Transfer to a dish and leave aside.
3. In the skillet, add olive oil, lower heat to medium and then add onions, garlic, and peppers; sauté about 6 to 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Bring back the sausage to the skillet with the remaining ingredients except the pasta and cheese.
4. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
5. In order to cover the bottom of a 9×13 pan, add just enough of the sausage and vegetable mixture .
6. Then, cover with uncooked pasta. Pour the remaining sauce mixture evenly over the top and top with cheese.
7. Before baking about 50-55 minutes, cover with foil. Take out of the oven and let aside covered for 15 minutes.
Servings: 8 | Size: 1 1/4 cups
- Calories: 326
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carb: 32 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 574 mg
- Cholesterol: 61 mg
Inspired From Skinnytaste
Points +: 8 | Smart Points: 8