- 16 ounces bag of 16 bean soup mix; the flavor packet is to be discarded.
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 ounces reduced sodium smoked ham steak, cut into dices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped, about 3/4 cup
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 small green pepper, chopped, about 3/4 cup
- 4 cups kale, coarsely chopped, stems removed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
1 . During the night, rinse and soak beans. The next day, reject the soaked water and put in a pot with 12 cups of water, cook uncovered on medium-high heat for 1 hour .
2 . Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, pour oil and cook ham until browned for about 2 minutes. Add carrot, onions, garlic, celery, green pepper, green onions, tomato sauce, cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper and cook 5 minutes more, until tender.
3 . Add the beans as well as the thyme and rosemary.
4 . Reduce heat to medium-low, cook covered 1 hour, stirring from time to time. Then, open the pot, increase heat to medium-high and simmer about 15 minutes, until the soup is thicker and the beans are cooked through.
5 . Cook again for 10 to 15 minutes after adding the kale.
This Recipe Inpired From Skinnytaste
Servings: 10 | Size: scant 1 1/4 cup
- Calories: 155
- Fat: 2 g
- Carb: 36 g
- Fiber: 18.5 g
- Protein: 13.5 g
- Sugar: 3.5 g
Points Plus: 5 | Smart Points: 5