Ideas for Baking Low Fat Chocolate Cakes with a Cake Mix
1. Low Fat Chocolate Pumpkin Cake: Mix one package (18.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix with 1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin puree and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and beat until smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for about the time specified on the box. Mom shared this recipe with me the other day, when I wanted a quick cake for dinner. I baked it in 2 8-inch square foil pans – one for us and one to share. To make it extra special I sprinkled each cake with about 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips before baking. It turned out moist and delicious.
2. Low Fat Chocolate Yogurt Cake: Mix one package (18.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix with 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt and 1 cup water and beat until smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for about the time specified on the box.
(For either recipe each small serving (1/24th) of recipe has around 100 calories, 3 g fat, 17 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein
I cut the recipe in half (which explains why the amounts look a little funny) but it’s worth it when you have a small family and find it dangerous to have too many tempting sweets around
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9-inch round or 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine all the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and baking soda) in a large bowl. Stir together until uniform and well combined. Gradually add in the wet ingredients (eggs, milk, oil and vanilla) and beat on medium speed until very smooth and free from lumps. Pour in boiling water and continue to stir the mixture until slightly thin and runny.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the tester comes out clean when inserted at the center. When done, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely for about 10 minutes before taking it off from pan.
- Serve plain or frosted with chocolate frosting of your choice.
- Makes 12 servings