Sausage, potatoes, cheese… This is some serious comfort food!
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes
- 3 frozen meatless or turkey sausage patties with 80 calories or less (like the kind by MorningStar Farms or Jimmy Dean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 2 cups (about 16 large) egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly mist a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook patties in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until browned. Crumble and chop. Set aside.
- Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. When hot, saute onion, bell pepper and 1/8 tsp of each seasoning. Stir fry for about 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender crisp and lightly browned.
- Whisk egg whites with the remaining 1/8 tsp of each seasoning in a large bowl. Stir in chopped sausage, cooked veggies, thawed hash browns and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture evenly in muffin cups. Bake for about 20 minutes or until center is set and edges are slightly browned.
- Makes 6 servings
1/6th of recipe (2 egg bakes): 157 calories | 4.5g total fat (2.5g sat fat) | 486mg sodium | 10g carbs | 1.5g fiber | 1.5g sugars | 16.5g protein | Smart Points: 4