- 16 oz bag of dried split peas
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove or more if you like more garlic, use 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 2 large carrots – chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ham hock
- Wash peas thoroughly in running water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Saute onions and garlic until soft and fragrant. Stir in peas, carrots, ham hock and chicken stock. Give a good stir and bring the liquid to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and cook mixture for another two hours until peas are very soft but not mushy. Add water if soup becomes too thick.
- When done, remove ham hock from the pot using tongs or a slotted spoon.
- To serve, laddle the split pea soup into individual bowls and serve with garlic croutons on the side if desired.
- Makes 6 servings
Servings: 6 | Size: 1/6th of recipe | Points: 3 pts | Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 183.3 | Fat: 5.9g | Protein: 10.9 g | Carb: 22.2 g | Fiber: 7.3 g