- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour (all purpose, whole wheat or ap gluten-free)
- 2 1/2 cups less sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt and fresh pepper
- 4 cups (about 2 heads) broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 1-1/2 cups reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 slices 2% American cheese
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot over low heat. When hot, saute chopped onion, carrot, celery and garlic for about 5 minutes until tender and fragrant.
- Stir in flour and toast for a minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour in chicken broth, milk and add potatoes to mixture. Increase heat to high, cover and let it boil. When done, reduce heat to low and cook for another 10-5 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in broccoli florets and parmesan cheese to pot. Adjust seasoning according to preference and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Add in cheddar and American cheese, give a good stir until cheese melts and remove from heat.
- To thicken the consistency of the soup, blend part of the soup in an immersion blender or quickly take 1-2 cups of potatoes and broccoli and place in chopper and add it back to the soup.
- Laddle soup in 5 individual bowls and serve warm.
- Makes 5 servings
Servings: 5 | Serving Size: 1-2/3 cups | Points+: 7 pts | Smart Points: 9 | Calories: 236 | Fat: 11 g | Sat Fat: 7 | Carb: 27 g | Fiber: 5 g | Protein: 18 g | Sodium: 753 mg | Choles: 36 mg