- 1 pound package lean ground beef (96%), see shopping tips
- 2 (32-oz) containers Swanson’s reduced-sodium beef broth or your favorite broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Swanson’s reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes, diced
- ¾ cup dried pearl barley, see shopping tips
- 1½ cups carrots, sliced
- 1½ cups celery, sliced
- 1½ cups onions, chopped
- 1½ cups zucchini, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
Directions for Crock Pot:
Note: You’ll need a large (6 quart) crock-pot. If you don’t have one this large, you can use a smaller crock=pot and cut the recipe in half.
1. In a large nonstick pot or pan, brown ground beef. Pour into a colander in sink and drain fat.
2. Place beef and all ingredients in the crock pot, except spinach. Mix together well.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH heat for 3 1/2 hours until veggies and barley are soft. Stir in spinach, cover and cook on high for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
for 1½ cups serving
1g sat fat
Directions for Stove Top: (Click the NEXT Button To see The Direction for Stove Top)