Fattier meat cuts contain more fat and less protein and that’s why they’re healthier. Choose organic eggs and organic fed animal foods in order to reduce the intake of antibiotics, bacteria, and steroid hormones.
- The best choice are clean proteins taken from local sources of clean, grass fed meats and poultry.
- Meat: beef, wild game, veal, lamb, goat. Grass-fed meat is better since it contains an improved fatty acid profile.
- Poultry: turkey, chicken, quail, duck, Cornish hen, pheasant, goose.
- Again, fish or seafood of any kind is the best choice. Any wild caught as well: calamari, anchovies, cod, catfish, flounder, herring, halibut, mackerel, salmon, mahi-mahi, sole, sardines, tuna, scrod, snapper, and trout.You can use canned tuna and salmon, but only if they have no added fillers or sugar, and try to avoid fried and breaded seafood.
- Whole eggs: scrambled, omelets, fried, deviled, hard-boiled, poached, and soft-boiled.
- Shellfish: crab, clams, lobster, shrimp, scallops, squid, oysters, mussels. Try to avoid crab meat, because of its richness in additives, such as gluten and sugar.
- Peanut butter and soy products like tofu, tempeh, and edamame should be consumed in very limited amounts because of their richness in carbohydrates, but they are excellent sources of protein.
Whey protein powders, pea, rice, pea, hemp or other vegetable protein powders. They can lead to an insulin spike in the body, so try to use them moderately if you experience difficulties.
Fats and Oils
In the ketogenic diet, most of the calories have dietary fats. So, keep the digestive tolerance in mind.
Many people cannot stand eating too much mayonnaise, vegetable oil or olive oil. However, this may be useful because vegetable oils are rich in Omega-6 fatty acids, so it is advisable that you cook them.
You can find Omega-6 fatty acids in margarine, nut oils, soybean oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, canola oil and safflower oil.
Yet, you should balance their consumption and take only a teaspoon daily. Another vital aspect of a low-carb diet is the consumption of tuna, wild salmon, and shellfish, which will balance Omega 3 fatty acids.