1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin, prepared
1/2 cup apples, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
1 egg white
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1. To prepare pumpkin: First of all, use a smaller variety of pumpkin (about the size of a bag of popped popcorn). The lighter the skin, the sweeter the taste. Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Save the seeds for drying or roasting. Put both halves cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet, loosely cover them with foil, and pop them in the oven for about an hour at 375. When they’re done, scoop the flesh from the skin with a spoon and mush up the yummy pumpkin goodness. It should keep in a refrigerator for about a week or so. If you’ve decided to just go with canned pumpkin: Open the can.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and ready a 9×5 inch loaf pan (cooking spray or oil work just fine.)
3. In one bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, allspice, and cinnamon.
4. In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, pumpkin, egg, egg white, and apple sauce until the mixture looks like bright orange mush.
5. Stir the dry stuff into the wet stuff just until you don’t see dry stuff anymore.
6. Fold in the chopped apples. At this point, you can also add any solid ingredients (nuts, berries, the like) that you think would taste good inside of a loaf of pumpkin bread. Pour the batter into your loaf pan and sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds on top.
7. Bake in the middle oven position at 350 degrees for about an hour, turning once or twice throughout the process. It will look and smell done – just check it with a toothpick. As a precautionary measure, it’s better to put a foil-lined baking sheet on the rack below the bread so it doesn’t get so much direct heat from the bottom heating element.
8. When you decide that the baking process has completed, cool the bread for about 10 minutes to let the anxiety build. Flip the loaf out of the pan and let it cool a bit more.
Nutritional information per slice: 77 calories, 0.6g fat, 0.8g fiber, Smartpoints : 2
P.S. Makes 16 slices