- 2 heads of cabbage
- 2 lbs ground beef (or veal/beef/pork mix)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 slices diced onion
- 1 -15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce (in meat)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Put a head of cabbage in a pot of boiling water, and peel off the cabbage leaves one at a time.
- Cut off the rough part on the end of the cabbage leaf with a sharp knife.
- Mix all ingredients together except the 15 oz can of tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes and put a small amount (size of a sausage) on a cabbage leaf, and roll up like a fajita and place seam side down in a casserole dish. I put tomato sauce and a cabbage leaf or 2 on the bottom of the casserole dish so the Halupky won’t burn.
- Pour crushed tomatoes over Halupkys.
- Cover and bake approximately 75 minutes at 375º.
- Turn oven down to 325º and bake for approximately 90 more minutes until cabbage is tender. Baste every hour.
- Serve with tomato sauce.