- 1 smallhead green cabbage
- 2 ccheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cmedium white sauce
- 1/2 – 3/4 cfine bread crumbs, buttered
- 1/2 tspsalt
- 1 Tbspbutter
- 3 Tbspbutter
- 3 Tbspall purpose flour
- 1/4 tspsalt
- 1 1/2 cmilk
- Cut cabbage into wedges and cook uncovered until tender (about 25 minutes). Add salt to water just before cooking is completed. Drain cabbage, add butter.
- For white sauce: in a saucepan, melt butter over low heat, add flour and salt, stir until combined. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Layer the cabbage, cheese, and white sauce in a 2-1/2 qt. casserole dish. Repeat layers.
- Top with buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, or until bread crumbs are browned.
- A good side dish with ham, pork, sausage, or as a vegetarian main dish.
- A picture of the lady who is responsible for this recipe: Mary Armstrong Bales, God bless her!