Newfoundland Snowballs -. Soft chocolate fudge balls with the goodness of oatmeal and coconut. These freeze exceptionally well and my kids actually prefer to eat them frozen, just like I did as a child.
- 3 cups sugar
- ¾ cup melted butter
- 1¼ cups milk
- 3 cups large rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened fine coconut
- 12 tbsp cocoa
- 1½ cups extra coconut extra coconut to roll the balls (approximately)
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and milk. This mixture will foam up while boiling so a larger pot is recommended.)
- Boil together gently over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until mixture reaches about 230 degrees F on a candy thermometer. (The 5 to 6 minutes cooking time is usually quite accurate for me but don’t start timing it until the mixture is fully at a rolling boil and don’t stir the mixture while it boils.)
- Mix together the oats, 1 cup coconut and cocoa.
- Add the boiled mixture to the dry ingredients until well combined and chill well in the fridge, until mixture is able to be shaped into 1½ inch balls. The mixture will be quite soft and sloppy while it is still hot. It will not firm up until it is very well chilled.
- Roll the balls in additional coconut.
- Makes about 4 dozen. These should be stored in the fridge. These freeze very well