HOW TO MAKE OUT OF THIS WORLD CARROT CAKE
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1½ Cups white sugar
- ½ Cup oil
- 3 eggs
- ¾ Cup sour milk (Put 1 tsp lemon juice in your measuring cup and then fill to ¾ cup with milk, let sit for 3-5 minutes)
- 2 Tsp vanilla
- 2 Cups flour (I did one cup whole wheat and one cup all-purpose)
- 2½ Tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tsp baking soda
- ½ Tsp salts
- 2 Cup finely shredded carrot (Don’t do the big shred or they will still be a little crunchy even after cooking)
- 1 Cup crushed pineapple, don’t drain
- 1 Cup shredded coconut
- ½ Cup walnuts, plus more for garnish on frosted cake if desired
- 1 Cup raisins (optional) (I do not add raisins)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 Cup butter, softened
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour two circle cake pans. (Line your pans with waxed paper to make them come out nice and perfect).
- In your mixer or with a hand mixer, combine sugar, oil, eggs and milk. Mix well.
- Add vanilla and mix until combined
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
- Next fold in the carrots, nuts, coconut, pineapple and raisins (if using). Fold them in until they are evenly distributed throughout the cake.
- Pour half of the batter into each cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine all ingredients in a mixer or use your hand mixer and mix until smooth.
- Spread a thin layer on one of the cakes and then place the other on top. Use the rest of the frosting to cover the cake.
- You can also do a crumb layer first so you don’t get pieces of cake in the frosting. To do a crumb layer, just use a tiny amount of frosting and go over the whole cake. Put it in the fridge or freezer for about 20 minutes or until the frosting is set.
- Take it out and frost it as you normally would. This layer helps seal in crumbs so they won’t show in your final product.
- If desired, use nuts to decorate your cake after frosting it.
- For more flavor, try toasting the nuts and coconut before adding them to the batter.
- If you like macadamia nuts, you can add them to your recipe as well.
- Cool your cake completely before frosting.