Wyoming, Illinois, is a small town with a population of about 1,400. It’s safe to say that almost everyone knows everyone there, and that’s exactly the kind of tight-knit community where 21-year-old Shelby Ann Carter wanted to have a family.
She and her fiancé lived with her mother. Shelby worked as a beautician and had started studying to become a pharmacy technician. Then, in January 2017, she gave birth to her daughter Keana Davis. Shelby was overjoyed and it looked like all was going well for the young mother and her family.
But unfortunately, her happiness was about to come to tragic end.
“She was making her mark in town,” said the town’s mayor. But on January 30 — only one day after her 21st birthday — tragedy struck. Shelby was at home with her daughter when a fire broke out. She called 911 for help and told them that she was having trouble breathing. She hadn’t said anything about her child which led to some confusion when firefighters finally reached the scene.
Emergency responders found Shelby on the second floor of the house, but it was too late — she had died of carbon monoxide poisoning. But when they finally put out the flames and surveyed the scene, they found something truly astonishing: Shelby’s 12-day-old daughter! What had happened?
Read The Rest by clicking the Next > Button below. (Click the >> Next page button below)