OLD FASHIONED METHOD
For the pie crust
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of cold butter cut into small cubes
- 1/4 of a cup ice water
For the coconut filling
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 cup sweetened fine coconut
- 3 slightly beaten extra large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For Whipped cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
FOR THE EVEN EASIER METHOD
- 1 premade pie crust
- 2 boxes (3.4 oz each) instant Coconut Cream pudding mix
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 (8 oz) tub Cool Whip Free, thawed
- About 1/2 cup toasted coconut
OLD FASHIONED METHOD INSTRUCTIONS
- In Large cold bowl, add the cold butter into the flour and add the salt until mixture and hand mix, but NOT until smooth, it should still be combined well but lumpy still with the cold butter still showing.
- Pour the ice water over the mixture, use a fork until dough begins to form, do NOT over mix.
- Divide the dough into two equal sections then flatten into 2 rounds, then place in the refrigerator to rest for about a half an hour.(this makes two pie crusts, you can save for another pie or freeze)
- Remove from the fridge and place in the bottom of a 10 inch pie plate, cut off any excess.
- Bake only the crust at 400F for 10 – 14 minutes OR until golden brown.
- Allow to cool COMPLETELY before adding your filling
OLD FASHIONED METHOD FOR COCONUT CREAM FILLING
- Heat the milk on the stove or in the microwave until almost boiling, you want it VERY hot
- In a medium saucepan combine the flour, sugar, salt and the coconut and mix.
- Once mixed, slowly begin adding the ALMOST BOILING 1 cup of milk into the mixture while whisking constantly as you pour.
- Keep on a low heat, then as you see the filling start to thicken, begin adding the second cup of the HOT milk continuing to stir constantly until it starts to re-thicken.
- Repeat this for your final cup of HOT milk, remember to stir it CONSTANTLY until it thickens for the third time.
- Remove from the heat
- In a medium bowl have your 3 eggs that are slightly beaten and pour your coconut mixture onto the beaten egg yolks, while STILL whisking constantly.
- Cook together for about 2 minutes or until it starts looking like a ‘pudding’ then remove from heat, it should be hot, almost boiling, but careful not to burn it!
- Stir in the 4 tablespoons of butter and the vanilla extract.
- Allow to cool on the counter at least 30 minutes before pouring into your pie crust
- (if you chose to use a pre-made DRY pie crust, you do not need to wait to pour, if you used a pillsbury one, wait the 30 minutes)
- Chill the pie completely in the fridge for at least 3 hours before adding the whipped topping
OLD FASHIONED METHOD TOPPING- can be used on either
- Combine the whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat well
- Spread on top of the fully-cooled coconut cream filling. (i used a pastry bag to make pretty peaks)
- Garnish with toasted coconut
- In a large bowl whisk both pudding mixes, milk and 3/4 container of the cool whip/whipped topping until thick and creamy
- Fold in the shredded coconut until combined.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust.
- Spread carefully with remaining Cool Whip (use a piping bag for easier application and prettier peaks) then top with toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate for 5 hours or until firm.