Your arteries carry oxygen-rich blood throughout every part of your body. hen healthy, arteries are smooth on the inside and blood flows through them easily, according to WebMD. However, sometimes we get a build-up of plaque on the inner walls of our arteries which clogs them and inhibits blood flow.
Clogged arteries are incredibly dangerous – they increase the likelihood of heart attack and stroke, which can be fatal. It isn’t only older people who are at risk of compromised arteries – with bad diet, smoking, and a lack of exercise, we’re all at risk. It’s important to be aware of your artery health no matter how old you are. Fortunately there are some natural ways to clear out your arteries, and we’ve listed six of them below.
1) Make lifestyle changes. This one is obvious, but absolutely essential, according to WebMD. Throw out the cigarettes, exercise regularly, and watch your weight. Try managing your stress levels, too – stress is a common factor in heart disease.
2) Choose healthy fats. People have long thought that all fat was detrimental to heart health, but this isn’t the case, according to Medical News Today and many other studies which have debunked this myth. Natural Living Ideas explains that Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish – and in cod liver oil, in particular – are great for heart health. Other healthy oils and fats include avocado, olive, almond and flaxseed. Even coconut oil, which is a saturated fat, has a high lauric acid content and this helps to lubricate our arteries.
3) Drink pomegranate juice. WebMD cites a large study that shows pomegranate juice may help to keep our arteries healthy. It reduces blood vessel damage – thereby preventing the hardening of our arteries – and because it is so rich in antioxidants, it is thought to actually reverse the progression of heart disease.
3) Take your vitamins. Natural Living Ideas explains the link between Vitamins B6, B12, and C and heart health. These vitamins keep our arteries flexible and help to prevent plaque build-up and blood clots. Safe supplements are widely available, but these vitamins are also obtainable from our food. B-complex vitamins are found in meat and fish, dairy, cereals and a range of vegetables, whereas vitamin C is easily obtainable by eating citrus fruits and vegetables like broccoli and red peppers.
4) Eat more garlic. We already know that garlic is a superfood, and according to Step to Health, it is also the best way to promote clean arteries naturally. It is a powerful antioxidant and fights the free radicals in your body, whilst lowering bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol. Garlic improves blood flow and fights hypertension – just try to eat it crushed and raw for maximum benefit.
Open Next Page to continue reading...